Kevin_N

#TeamNachos
Staff member
  • Aug 5, 2021
    Pickerington
    Ohio State broke tendencies on both sides of the football in its 59-7 win over an over-matched Akron. Offensively, the Buckeyes overcame freshman quarterback Kyle McCord’s early game jitters by targeting the edge toward the halfback’s side in shotgun. Often, opposing defenses will slant and/or overplay away from Ohio State’s offset halfback, expecting zone runs to the opposite side.

OSU-O-v.-Akron.png

So both to counter this focus from Akron—and likely break tendencies for future opponents—the Buckeyes repeatedly targeted the edge toward the halfback. This came in the form of pop pass sweeps (which also gave McCord several easy early completions).

And it came from quick toss runs to the halfback behind a pin and pull blocking scheme (meaning that the playside uncovered linemen pull and lead).

Show 2 – The other staple of the...

Continue reading...

Reactions: Gooch

davebucknut

Scoop Family
    President’s Club
    Founder's Club
  • Jun 5, 2020
    I am thrilled to see the scheme changes and if Coombs had been allowed to do this on his own, he'd probably been more successful and still might be calling plays.

It seems as though Day only did this because of the staff shuffling.

DonnyBuckeye

Scoop Family
    President’s Club
    Founder's Club
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Wow…just love what you bring to this site, Ross. Fantastic stuff. A real education and enlightenment for those of us that never had the chance to actually play football.

mgrober

Scoop Family
    President’s Club
    Sep 1, 2021
    Another great analysis! I really missed them on tos.
    Ross
    In your opinion, who should get credit for these changes, Barnes, Day, Rhodes , Coombs or all?
    I can't believe "Coombs wasn't allowed to make the changes on his own".

buckesq

Scoop Family
    President’s Club
    Founder's Club
  • Jun 7, 2020
    Ross, do you think we are going away from the single-high this year b/c of the injury to Proctor? In the single-high, the deep safety is perhaps the most important position on the field, and Josh seemed like the only one who could play that position adequately.

Or do you think Barnes just wants more variety?

neo

Scoop Family
  • Dec 3, 2020
    The adjustment to stop that counter motion that Akron used on their first TD is pure sex.

Maybe it's because I'm still scarred by Oregon's "run left because no one will be there" game plan, but it's nice to see the defense with some different looks that can, at the very least, make an offense think twice about what they'll see.

CarreraGTSbuck

Scoop Family
    Pay It Forward
    Founder's Club
    Jun 5, 2020
    I am thrilled to see the scheme changes and if Coombs had been allowed to do this on his own, he'd probably been more successful and still might be calling plays.

It seems as though Day only did this because of the staff shuffling.
    Why is there an assumption that Coombs could not adjust the defense? Although I understand that Day prefers a single high concept safety, I don't think Day was immersed in the details of each defensive call. That is especially relevant since Coombs did not change his looks much, if at all during games. Clearly, if a DC is adjusting to what they are seeing on the field, Oregon would not have scored on the same play from the 15 yard line 3 times in a row.

davebucknut

Scoop Family
    President’s Club
    Founder's Club
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Why is there an assumption that Coombs could not adjust the defense? Although I understand that Day prefers a single high concept safety, I don't think Day was immersed in the details of each defensive call. That is especially relevant since Coombs did not change his looks much, if at all during games. Clearly, if a DC is adjusting to what they are seeing on the field, Oregon would not have scored on the same play from the 15 yard line 3 times in a row.
    Coombs was a bad fit from day 1, however when I see the scheme of the last 2 weeks and especially last week, it is as if they installed a new defense entirely. The LB alignments were different and so were the safety alignments, plus they played a lot more zone than I've seen them run in the last several years.

It is my belief that the defensive staff and day talked it over and day relented or is relenting some on his desire to play a single high safety Man 2 Man D, because we don't have the personnel for it. They also saw that coombs can't run a defense, so they handed the keys over to Barnes and the scheme will end up being a lot of of a quarters look than a 3 deep look by seasons end. Last week was just the first installment of it so they could practice it against an inferior opponent and I look for a lot more of it.

M

Mr. Miguel

Get Martinez some touches.
    Punts, screen pass, some kind of opportunity to make a big play.
    He is that good.