Kevin_N

#TeamNachos
Staff member
  • Aug 5, 2021
    Pickerington
    Ohio State turned in another uneven performance in its 26-17 win over Nebraska. Against the Buckeye offense, the Cornhuskers took a page from Penn State’s playbook and varied looks based upon Ohio State’s tendencies.

The Cornhuskers frequently mixed cover 3 pressures, cover 1, and aggressive cover 4 when Ohio State’s tight end was attached as a Y-off to the formation.

Nebraska-Cover-3-Front.png

At the snap, Nebraska would often slant or pinch their defensive tackles. When Ohio State’s tight end was detached, by contrast, the Cornhuskers often flipped to a softer cover 2 or 4-match zone.

As against Penn State, Ohio State faced two interrelated problems in the run game. At times, the Buckeyes were outnumbered—particularly from overhang pressure—that was not accounted for in the blocking scheme, resulting in negative plays. Below, the blitzing backside edge defender overruns Ohio State’s weak GY counter trey...

Continue reading...

Zooke

Scoop Family
    President’s Club
  • Jul 31, 2020
    I think your note about Henderson lacking a cutback ability is hindering the slower developing run plays. I would love to see Miyan get a few more carries as he is a bit more patient and doesn't go down as easily. Sure, he can't hit the home run like Henderson, but I think he is more likely to turn a 3 yard gain into a bit more if space is tighter.

In other words, it just seems like there are runs where Henderson is outrunning the blocking at times where a bit of patience would help.

Reactions: AspenBuckeyeFan

whobdis

Scoop Family
    Founder's Club
    Jul 2, 2020
    I think your note about Henderson lacking a cutback ability is hindering the slower developing run plays. I would love to see Miyan get a few more carries as he is a bit more patient and doesn't go down as easily. Sure, he can't hit the home run like Henderson, but I think he is more likely to turn a 3 yard gain into a bit more if space is tighter.

In other words, it just seems like there are runs where Henderson is outrunning the blocking at times where a bit of patience would help.
    I think he has that cutback ability..but it wasn't there Saturday and one has to wonder if the leg/ankle is a problem. THere wasn't a lot of holes but a few times there was an opening to the side and he couldn't get there. JK used to tear teams up with that. I agree in principal though that Miyan should see more carries. Not because hes better than Trey but a change up is good ANd save some wear on your young rb