Kevin_N

#TeamNachos
Staff member
  • Aug 5, 2021
    Pickerington
    Ohio State turned in another stellar performance in its 66-17 victory over Maryland. Offensively, the Buckeye run game was slowed early by the Terrapins’ strategy to combine a condensed, odd front with a nose guard head up on the center with a soft cover 2 or quarters coverage to protect against big pass plays.

Maryland-Defensive-Alignment.png

In the run game, Ohio State seemed to have early identification issues against the odd front. For example, below, the Buckeyes run mid-zone insert. Center Luke Wypler seemingly expects right guard Paris Johnson to combination block the nose guard, and leaves his block to climb to the second level. But Johnson does not try to overtake the nose, leaving the defensive lineman unblocked.

But the Maryland soft coverage shell left ample intermediate passing game opportunities utilizing Ryan Day’s staple pass concepts—for example this early first down conversion on all...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

ridgebeam2

Scoop Family
    Pay It Forward
    President’s Club
    Founder's Club
  • Jun 12, 2020
    Thanks much, Ross. Amazing the detail that players must know and react to quickly.

Know that there are quizzes throughout the season. Could you give us a few examples of the types of questions Buckeye LB or DB defenders might be asked at this point of the season?

Reactions: Zooke

GoatLocker

Scoop Family
    Aug 10, 2020
    This is great stuff but I can't help but notice that on one of the videos displaying "MEG" coverage -- 2 of our inside defenders slip trying to change directions.

I mean what is the DEAL with this turf??

Reactions: ridgebeam2

ridgebeam2

Scoop Family
    Pay It Forward
    President’s Club
    Founder's Club
  • Jun 12, 2020
    This is great stuff but I can't help but notice that on one of the videos displaying "MEG" coverage -- 2 of our inside defenders slip trying to change directions.

I mean what is the DEAL with this turf??
    Read that it will be replaced before next year. However, one would think we would know which cleats work best on our home field!

BTG57

Scoop Family
    Aug 17, 2021
    Ross.. Great write up .. I'm not so comfy that the staff sorted out how to attack the Terp front with the run game as opposed to they simply stopped trying to run inside and by H2 the passing game had completely bamboozled the back Terp back 7 to the point they had no intention to worry about the run game.

You're spot on that the odd front with the nose head up is KILLING Wypler and that's generally why the inside run isn't open. But there's more to the story.

I had stop action on the same running play about 10 times and I don't get it.

The play looks to be going to the B/C gap to the Boundary, so Paris wouldn't double the nose Munford would. But Munford has a DT on, so has to block him. I

n which case Reuckert would have the LB as an ISO and he gets him... and Wypler "simply" has to stalemate the NG as the play is going two gaps away.

At the goal line later in the next drive Wypler and Paris double the NG and as soon as Paris releases the NG beats Wypler clean but the double is long enough to give Henderson time to make a move.

Net net they have to sort out ways to run inside on this look when the game starts b/c the "book" on OSU right now is to use an unloaded box with the extra defenders set to covering deep (two safeties) and the short swing pass and outside run (nickel Back).

Reactions: Sphinxbuck